“I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! " Ecclesiastes 1:13-17
Science Intent Statement
At Our Lady of Lourdes we aim to provide our children with the knowledge and skills they need to become super scientists! We offer a science curriculum that evokes curiosity, excitement and understanding about the world around them through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics whilst supporting the fundamental British Values. The curriculum also ensures progression of skills and scientific language is to be taught and built upon as topics are revisited in different year groups and across key stages. We know that our children learn through enquiry-based learning. Throughout our school children are encouraged to develop and use a range of working scientifically skills including questioning, researching and observing for themselves. Science at Our Lady of Lourdes has been structured to allow for independent exploration and investigation that then leads to progression of communication. At Our Lady of Lourdes, our children have access to whole school science themed days and after school Science clubs. These experiences, along with our progressive, creative curriculum, will enable our children to thrive as educated citizens of the future and through a growth mind-set approach, know that their learning has no limits. They will enable our children to facilitate a love for science and will build up their scientific confidence. Our children understand that ‘what you are is God’s gift to you, what you become is your gift to God’.
Implementation of the Science Curriculum
The curriculum is led and overseen by the Science subject lead. A regular programme of monitoring, evaluation and review and the celebration of good practice will contribute to the ongoing commitment to evolve and improve further.
The teaching, learning and sequencing of the Science curriculum is implemented through:
- A blocked curriculum approach to ensure coverage and progression in all skills relating to Science, including: Scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding; the nature, processes and methods of Science and the uses and implications of Science today and for the future.
- Opportunities for ‘working scientifically’ which are embedded within the Science curriculum.
- Clear learning objectives from which to plan, teach and assess knowledge.
- In the EYFS, Science will be taught through continuous provisions ans predominantly through the area of ‘Knowledge and Understanding of the World’.
- Development of long term memory by allowing for repetition of learning within the year and year on year.
- The identification of subject specific vocabulary, which is taught through each topic.
- Links made to other subject where appropriate.
- Whole school resources which are available to support the teaching of Science at Our Lady of Lourdes.